Saturday, February 26, 2011

SMSExpress – Now Boarding

My quick fire trip to Shirdi – 54 hours start to finish. 47 hours spent traveling.
Accounted for with a string of “twitter type” text messages that I exchanged with a few of my friends through the journey. No Frills, so I have been really stingy at editing. If you don’t understand a few expressions, catch your nearest buddy from Karnataka.
Few hints – Most messages follow the date and time mentioned above them, those are the ones that I constantly (and I understand they were a little annoying :D )sent to a few friends. And a few messages succeeding an “@” followed by a name are my conversations with that person.
14/Feb/2011 - 14:24
@Mamu
Maga are you sure you can't leave early tomorrow?
14/Feb/2011 - 14:26
@Mamu
Ya da i cant coz my manager is wit me.. you go da no problem..i wil go another time..
14/Feb/2011 - 21:28
@Vatsa
Awake??
15/Feb/2011 - 06:16
@Mamu
Mamesh. Am leaving today. Taking the afternoon train to Daund and a bus from there. We will go again sometime.
15/Feb/2011 - 06:19
@ Mamu
Ok..happy n safe journey..pray 4 me..
16/Feb/2011 - 06:20
@Mamu
Sure sure mate.
15/Feb/2011 - 08:55
@Rakesh
Any idea how much time it takes to go to Shirdi from Daund? By bus. Ask your friends there.
15/Feb/2011 - 09:35
@Rakesh
Frnds r idiots… they donno anything...i guess u have to take Daund to Mumbai or Pune n then to Shirdi.... 1st destn will b arnd 6hrs and next will be 4 if frm mumbai and 6 from pune....
15/02/2011 - 09:41
@Rakesh
Lopar. Daund to Shirdi is 180 kms. Just want to know how frequent the buses are. Otherwise Karnataka express follows my train in 1 hour. I'll take that to Kopargaon.
Called Rakesh – No answer – Got a message
15/Feb/2011 - 10:18
@ Rakesh
In training....
15/Feb/2011 - 10:19
@Rakesh
Which train?
15/Feb/2011 - 10:19
@ Rakesh
TRAINING...
15/Feb/2011 - 10:20
@Rakesh
To where are you going in a train?
15/Feb/2011 - 14:11
@Sarva
Taking a cab. Thanks mate. See you on Friday. Enjoy tomorrow’s offsite. Eat my share also.
15/Feb/2011 - 14:12
@Rakesh
Maga. If you can Check on the ST Buses website for timings from Daund to Shirdi.
15/Feb/2011 - 14:44
@Rakesh
Yea will do tht..
15/Feb/2011 - 14:45
@Sarva
Gud enjoy, have a safe journey.
15/Feb/2011 - 15:32
Booked myself in an AC coach for the first time in my life, 3 tier AC, Tatkal, Seat/Berth 23. I Strolled towards the coach at the end of the train, unfortunately, wasn't lucky to travel in it, as my name wasn't on the chart, the TTE got down, tried to enquire, he didn't listen to a few words that came out, put his hand up and said, there will be a new TTE from Bangalore, ask him.

Went back to the coach, scanned again through the dot matrix print, bingo, there was my name, in the last line, one passenger, upgraded to 2nd AC. what luck :)

P.S. the "restricted entry" AC coach is a safer option but believe me, 2nd class sleeper is more fun.
Listed on 2nd AC
15/Feb/2011 - 14:52
@Rajiv
Happy jorny chinu.pray u shd gt marid dis year
15/Feb/2011 - 15:49
@Rajiv
He he. Will try, though I don't usually pray for myself. in that case I’d rather have a CBR 250
15/Feb/2011 - 16:05
@Nimmi
Hi Abhi. where have you reached now? I got call from Accenture.
Footloose On the edge DSC00234
Cuppa - Rail cafe WPD-4 Leading the Lokamanya Tilak Terminus Express
15/Feb/2011 - 16:11
@Rakesh
On the rail. In the train.
15/Feb/2011 - 16:11
@Rakesh
To whr? ass
15/Feb/2011 - 17:30
@Rakesh
Shirdi da.
15/Feb/2011 - 17:34
@Rakesh
Till when n with whom?
15/Feb/2011 - 17:36
@Rakesh
Till tomorrow night and alone.
15/Feb/2011 - 17:34
@Rakesh
Idiot,,,, u could have planned during weekend... My frds were thr and even i would have come....
15/Feb/2011 - 17:42
@Rakesh
Oh he he. Next time. Urgent trip da. Didn't get direct train. Booked the LTTE to Daund. Then will take bus. Then same evening back to Bangalore.
P.S. I was tempted to leave it like that, but if you are wondering, LTTE is my name for the Lokamanya Tilak Terminus Express which runs between Coimbatore and Kurla (Mumbai) via Bangalore
15/Feb/2011 - 17:34
@Rakesh
Idiot,,,, u could have planned during weekend... My frds were thr and even i would have come....
Room for more Epic Company
Diversity - Minar at a Mosque at Hindupur Sunset at Penukonda Sunset at Penukonda
15/Feb/2011 - 19:37
After samosa bajji cutlet and tea. Reached Dharmavaram now. Eating vada. Ordered dinner on the train only. Sat in the seat for only 5 mins till now spending most of the time at the door. Not made use of the privilege but enjoying it here. Got 2 people to blade. The second one is lasting longer :-) next update coming soon.
15/Feb/2011 - 19:38
@Rakesh
Is it opp sex or the same?
15/Feb/2011 - 19:41
@Rakesh
Same macha
15/Feb/2011 - 19:41
@Rakesh
Thoo.... Change it n try for the better...
15/Feb/2011 - 19:42
@Rakesh and Sarva
No chance. Our coach is divided into half 2nd ac and half 1st ac. Our side is shared by 20 people which include my new travel partners, at least one business man (who slept like a mannequin), one African, some old women and a few fat southees. The train came from Coimbatore na.
15/Feb/2011 – 19:48
@Rakesh
Ok ok .. U have to travel bak n u have still a chance,,, that too after darshan u have an upper hand :P
15/Feb/2011 - 20:03
@ Airtel
Airtel Welcomes you to Andhra Pradesh. Save upto 60% on your roaming charges with Airtel Turbo Plan.For details, SMS ROAMING to 121.
15/Feb/2011 - 20:04
@Sarva
Fnd sm gud girl 4 company, u can have nice time talkng whole nite
15/Feb/2011 – 20:05
@Rakesh and Sarva
No chance. Our coach is divided into half 2nd ac and half 1st ac. Our side is shared by 20 people including my new travel partners, at least one business man (who slept like a mannequin), one African, some old women and a few fat southees. The train came from Coimbatore na.

15/Feb/2011 - 20:09
@Sarva
As usual enjoy with guys, al the best
15/Feb/2011 - 20:11
@Sarva
I am feeling good. The only reason why I would have wanted someone is at least then I could have been brave enough to get my new cam. And Karna's guru's name is Parasuram
15/Feb/2011 - 20:11
@Sarva
No ur wrng, he is bhima,s guru, gud at gadha nd nt archery
15/Feb/2011 - 20:12
It is dark now. I got into the cozy environs of the cozy AC compartment, on the brown rexine upper berth and into a fleece blanket. Tomato soup in one hand, the palace of illusions on the other. Got a reading light too.
15/Feb/2011 - 20:13
@Sarva
Thtz so romantic, but sad tht u dnt have company
15/Feb/2011 - 20:26
@nimmi
Wah wah! Enjoy. I was trying to order a cake to be delivered to my cousin tomorrow… his birthday. So what about dinner only soup?
15/Feb/2011 - 21:01
Dinner just over. Ate regular railway meal. Chapati and rice. Ordered dosa for morning. Need to eat well. Problem is that my coach is 3rd from the end so am not near any stalls at all stations. So can't try a lot to eat. Finished a bottle of water before boarding. Waiting for water and tea. Oh he just came... Ok will go back to my book and tea. Leaving Kalluru junction now.
15/Feb/2011 - 21:03
@ Sarva
Cool… didnt u take ur steamer? haha. Enjoy nd have a gud darshan, wht time wil u rch?
15/Feb/2011 - 21:12
The moonlit night is showing us the life in the landscape otherwise covered by deathly darkness. Just passed over the Pennar river bridge under the hollow heavy metal sound of the train passing over it while I finished my tea at the door. Planning to finish this chapter and rest. Plan to rise up early for the sun tomorrow. Goodnight :-)
15/Feb/2011 - 21:16
@Rakesh
Great… India Shining : )
15/Feb/2011 - 21:16
@Sarva
Gud nite
15/Feb/2011 - 21:19
@ Rajiv
Good chinu enjy madi.
15/Feb/2011 - 21:20
@Rakesh
Good night :) enjoy the railway rhymes… or the rythm :)
16/Feb/2011 - 07:46
I thought the alarm for 6 a.m. has still not gone off. Switched on the reading light, the time was 720. The sun rose before me. So obviously I slept like a log. Longest sleep in a few months now. Looked outside. Was just leaving Kurduwadi. The soil has turned black. The sun is warmer, and Airtel says welcome to Maharashtra and Goa. Grabbed my toilet kit going inside the wash room to freshen up.
Breakfast Table - Masala Dosa outside my compartment & by the door Streaking past I am a train too
16/Feb/2011 - 7:25
@Nagesh
Pls cal me once u r in ntwrk
16/Feb/2011 - 08:37
Done with breakfast and tea. Spending time at the door of the Rock Star coach. Soaking in the view. Made a quick call to nagesh who was concerned about my accom as I was traveling alone. The Bhima river is approaching. The bridge over it is over 200 meters long and the sound of the train passing over the blue water on the bridge is like iron maiden. Best enjoyed at the live concert standing at the door, bending out a little over the bridge without embankment and looking at your feet on the footboard fly over the river. The train is going fast. The coach attendant came over to remind me that it’s time to part ways. The train was calling at Daund next. Time to pack and say goodbye to my pals here.
DSC00271 In-Dust-Realisation : Poverty and Pain compel farmers to fall for the mouthwatering eye wash and sell farmland to build polluting factories such as this : one day we dont have to hoard onions to increase prices, they just wont be there
16/Feb/2011 - 08:50
Just got off at Daund. As expected, 20 minutes early. Walking to the bus stop. Now things start looking strange.
16/Feb/2011 - 9:18
@Rakesh
So what next n how u r plannin to reach shirdi ?
DSC00274
16/Feb/2011 - 09:56
First leg of my journey on road. Waited for 45 mins at the bus stop. Speaking in corrupted Marathi and some Hindi. Got a blue Maruti van till Ahmadnagar. Roads are bad. Went past the landmark railway bridge in Daund on the Manmad line. Day is getting hotter.
16/Feb/2011 - 10:23
@Rakesh
It will be be much more hotter....
16/Feb/2011 - 10:23
@Mom
outside always better to take a govt vechicle. Do not take pvt cabs. Send the regn no of the car
16/Feb/2011 - 10:36
@Mom
Ayyo relax. Almost reached.
16/Feb/2011 - 11:54
Back in the land of fast food and VLCC. Got off the omni (my mom was pissed I took it). Now in the red ST bus (lal dabba) to Shirdi. Like a true maratha, gobbled 3 vada pavs. Hungry for more.
16/Feb/2011 - 11:55
@Rakesh
He he he... Idiot u r so near but still we cant meet.. Yen feb 14th yaranadru pataysdya????adikke visiting sai baba????
16/Feb/2011 - 12:10
@Nimmi – in an offsite presentation
Torture here. You take care. Enjoy. Have good Darshan
16/Feb/2011 - 12:18
@Rakesh
No da. Haven't been here for long. Also when Bunty was ill I prayed for him. Then the third reason is I wanted to beat my own record of my longest un official trip made alone. Then the last one… Office boring maga :-)
Innocence - with me on the ST bus to shirdi
16/Feb/2011 - 12:21
@Rakesh
Ha ha ha...ok ok... Enjoy
16/Feb/2011 - 12:24
@Mom
Where are you now
16/Feb/2011 - 12:25
@ Rakesh
Are your friends still there? I was wondering if I could share their room. Just to freshen up and change. Otherwise will go to the bhaktanivas.
16/Feb/2011 - 12:25
@Rakesh
No they came back in the weekend itself...
16/Feb/2011 - 17:52
Long break from messaging. Great darshan. Took about 2 hours. Went to dwarkamai. Mobiles were not allowed inside. Just picked it up tried to hunt the evasive restaurant that nag spoke about. Ate pani puri. Drank the "do not miss" masala tea.

Took a friendly rickshaw ride till the station cross. The driver passed a comment... directed at me, was obvious as the others in the rik, a budda, buddi, a boy and 3 girls instantly stole glances at me while unsuccessfully trying to suppress their laughter. May be because he was not used to backpackers clad in a tee, shorts and floaters. ICE BREAKER. Good going.
Walking towards the terminus now. Can see my train from here.
16/Feb/2011 - 17:56
@Rakesh
Goin back.... :) idiot
The only picture I could take of the temple - seen here with the neem tree under which Baba used to sit Shirdi Railway Terminus End Of Line - heading back now
Gold Dusk
16/Feb/2011 - 19:48
The moon was skimming across the sky faster than usual. The wind is heavy. Oh wait, it is actually the train belting across the dusky Marathi landscape. We just called at Belapur. The atmosphere in the coach much different than the almost personal 2nd AC den in the onward train. Some kids here are busy showing off the stuff bought at Shirdi. Garib rath is a good train. The build quality and noise isolation is club class by Indian railway standards. Which means I have to visit the door often to get my prescribed dose of adrenalin. Only annoying thing is the side middle berth. Tomorrow I will tell you how it felt sleeping in one of them.
16/Feb/2011 - 19:57
@Vatsa
Awake?
16/Feb/2011 - 22:07
The coach is pitch dark. Darker than the world outside. And silent, except the low grunt of the vibrations of the bogie and of a few world snoring champions. My phone was the most sought after thing for a few kids from Chennai here. It came back to me after a few hours of juke boxing and gaming. They even replied to some of my messages while i played gaurdian. I got some puri bhaji and more vada pav at ahmednagar. Got back to my book which is putting me to sleep. Goodnight.
16/Feb/2011 - 22:08
@Rakesh
Good night :)
DSC00425
17/Feb/2011 - 07:00
Lucky for me some man exchanged his upper berth with my side middle one. But I soon realised that the coach builder had forgotten to put the second layer of cushioning. Still slept like a log. Missed the sunrise. Cloudy though. Woke up just now. Like a twisted log. In Bagalkot now. They say the idlys are good. Not too keen. Got puri bhaji and vada. Awesome. Will get ready now.
17/Feb/2011 - 07:52
Chugging across north Karnataka. Amidst the sounds of familiar birds. Progress is slower than possible. We are often pulled over to let some train pass. Google maps says I'm close to Badami. I have gotten off the train at one such crossing to take a few pics. While I was typing this message, the coach attendant closed the door on me. Locked it from inside. Couple of jumps across the tracks I started banging the door while looking for another that might be open. Luckily he heard me and with a smile that made me look silly, opened the door. So I'm still on my way. What rotten luck.
17/Feb/2011 - 7:50
@Nimmi
God!:)
17/Feb/2011 - 7:52
@Rakesh - (a true friend's words... he read my mind)
Hope he had not opened the door.... The trip would have been much more memorable to u :)
DSC00302 DSC00309
DSC00308
17/Feb/2011 - 13:20
Gadag-Hospet-Tornagallur-Bellary. The bright sun veils the landscape in hazy white light. There is a long range of mountains nearby stretching across the southern horizon. It makes me think of hiking, mountain biking and such things. When I observe closely it looks like the patches of the sparse forest was shaved haphazardly by a huge cosmic razor. Then it looks like the barber picked up a huge knife and slowly sliced off the soft mountains’ face. Everything comes together now. It is the mining barons’ greed playing a virtual game of pacman. I fear that the future generations won't even believe that there were mountains here. Reached guntakal now. Veg biriyani and cabbage samosas are dying for my attention. Bye.
17/Feb/2011 - 15:51
Dmm to Ypr, 4 hours. Have been using a lot of railway terminology. That meant Dharmavaram to Yeswantpur is 4 hours. Really? If our railway timetable was a little more logical, the same rake headed by the same loco can on the same infrastructure can run the 160 kms in a little under 2 hours.
17/Feb/2011 - 17:27
It is almost time for the sun to sign off. I'm passing through the same place near Penukonda where I'd chased the sunset 2 days ago. Digging at the fiery andhra bhel puri. Gaping once again at this mysterious landscape.
DSC00402 DSC00414
17/Feb/2011 - 20:35
Landfall in Bangalore. 20 Minutes later than scheduled. So Many lights but still looks gloomy. Though a lot less gloomy than when I left it. Traveling does have a positive effect on one's mind. Jumped off the train before it came to a halt, ran to the ticket counter, picked up tickets for Kengeri. Leaving Yeshwantpur in the Bangalore-Mangalore-Kannur Express. Had bought tickets for my Garib Rath friends as well, but could not find the family when I returned. Ran up and down both the platforms a couple of times, the one where I got off and the one from which my next train was departing. But couldn't find them. I remembered that one of the kids had given me their dad's email ID on his visiting card, pulled it out only to realize that it was of the hotel in which they’d stayed. Adios Amigos, was nice traveling with you.
17/Feb/2011 - 21:35
The last message of this trip. Reached home safe and soot. Yeah, really dirty. Mangala Express was quick as she chugged me to Kengeri on schedule. The first to welcome me was Satish who waved as my train trundled past his house. Then after 5 mins my bro picked me up. The railway gate malfunctioned as soon as my train passed. So I had to join many others to heave it up so that at least the bikers could cross. Then I met bunty, dad, billu, mom and sophie in that order. Sorted a few things. Will eat and crash. Had a GREAT trip. Thank you for traveling with us. Goodnight.
PS. Would have been fun if I had actually been locked out of the train in the morning.

No comments: